How To Braid Hair – Step By Step Beginner’s Guide [Best Ideas]
I miss my long hair when there were so many options for braid hair. You cannot deny that long hair is easier to manage than short hair. Some of you might be looking at these sentences and whispering “what is she talking about?”. Relax girls, I myself had long hair, which I found pretty easy to manage.
The reason why long hair is manageable and perfect for braiding is that whenever you don’t want your long hair to rest on your shoulder, you can quickly turn it into a bun. Short hair on the other hand with bangs or a length where you can’t really tie it if you feel hot is more frustrating.
There are many types of braid hair hairstyles, since I used to be a braid person, I am almost tired of all of them. In this article, I will be sharing quite a few braid hairstyles, that you can rock with all kinds of attires.
Let’s Braid Up girls!
How To Braid Hair – Step By Step Beginner’s Guide
Braid hair is a way to give natural hair a rest from all the chemicals that we use every day in our hair, every day.
Here are the steps how you can braid your own hair to the scalp:
1. Perp Your Hair
The first thing you will do, comb your hair, as combing your hair before braiding is very important, otherwise, your hair will be unmanageable and get tangled easily. Not only for braids but comb your hair properly before tying it up starting any hairstyle process.
2. Section Your Hair
After you are done combing your hair, part it from the middle. After combing a bit again you start the braiding, by taking all the hair back and holding it as a ponytail. You can also back brush your hair for a bold braid look, but whatever you do parting in the middle has to be done first.
3. Start Braiding
Start with your braiding. You can do it yourself or can ask someone who can do it for you. Sometimes it becomes difficult as you can’t really see at the back of your head. Therefore asking for someone’s help will not be a bad idea, just snake sure the location of the braid stays in the middle. If you want a side braid then that’s your choice.
4. The Three-Strand Braiding
The basic braiding is the three stand braiding. This braiding is familiar to us because our childhood hairstyle was this particular one. Three-strand braiding is very simple, watch YouTube videos if you still don’t understand what it is.
5. Add Hair To The Cornrow
If you are into African braids, like me then you must have patience because these types of braids are braided very close to the scalp. Before you proceed with this process, make sure you have hair gel or oil with you. Since the selected strands are very thin, you have to apply oil or gel, so that the hair does not change the partition.
6. Detangle As You Go
I have repeated this term ‘detangle’ a lot of times because it is necessary. If your hair is unmanageable and rough you need to detangle them before and during the braiding process. If you don’t there will be chances of your hair getting tangled and when you open the tie, you will lose hair.
7. End The Braid
Keep going with the steps mentioned above and you will reach the end of your hair tip as well as the braiding process. You can also use some ribbons to tie the braid or use the ribbon from the beginning of the braid.
Repeat the same with the rest of the hair.
You can also check: Top 10 Band Hairstyles That You Should Try In This Year.
10 Stunning Ideas To Braid Your Hair – Beginners Guide
I don’t think that girls don’t know how to braid their hair, because our mothers used to braid our hair when we were kids. We are quite familiar with the term actually. Apart from the conventional braid hair, this article contains many other braid hairstyles that are easy and stunning. Dreadlock braids are also cool.
1. Staircase Braid – Perfect For Professional Environment
This hairstyle is super easy and bold which makes it perfect for an office ambiance.
Here are the steps of how to do staircase braid:
- Tie your hair in a ponytail. Brush it properly before tying.
- Take a strand of hair then wrap it around the hair tie to hide it. Don’t leave the strand yet.
- Keep the same strand, create a loop with two fingers, big enough to let the tail of the strand go through the loop, in simple words, try tying a knot.
- Get new strands and add that to your previous strand.
- Create a loop, wrap the strand of hair around the pony and pull it through the loop.
- Continue this process till the end, where you want to stop. It a braid out natural hair.
2. Halo Braid – Perfect For A Date Night
Whenever you are doubting your hair, go for this look. It leaves no strands, completely gives you a bun look, but with braid hair. A little cute addition to your face.
Here are the steps of how to do Halo Braid:
- Comb your hair, before beginning the process.
- Divide your hair into two sections.
- Start with the Dutch braid, the one that starts from the bottom of your scalp and makes its way up.
- Keep going with the dutch braid, keep moving the braid from one side to another. Maintain a line from your forehead.
- Wrap the braid and secure it with hairpins.
- Seal your braided halo with the help of hair spray.
3. Pipe Braid – Perfect For A Messy Look
This hairstyle is part French braid, and part infinity braid, and a bit twist. A beautiful style to look edgy.
Here are the steps of how to do Pipe Braid:
- Section your hair horizontally and tie the upper section.
- Take one strand from the left and make a loop.
- Make the loop big enough so that the stand goes through it, then keep making knots and tightly keeping them together.
- Keep doing this until you reach the end of the hair. It is suggested to leave the end of the hair a bit more, it really looks good.
4. Waterfall Braid – Perfect For A Prom Look
This hairstyle will look stunning with a long dress. You can also have a braid in hair extensions. Just fix the hair extension and braid it as you do it on your hair.
For people who do not have long hair but to match an outfit they have to, then hair extensions can be used and be turned into braid hair.
Here are the steps of how to do a waterfall braid:
- Comb your hair first.
- Divide your hair.
- Take strands from the front section of your scalp, also take strands from parting.
- Start braiding, but keep it loose.
- Do it till the end of your ear.
- Keep the rest of the hair open.
5. Fishtail Braid – Perfect For A Red Carpet Look
This hairstyle is for mermaids, I am kidding, not for them but it does make you look like one. It is very messy yet beautiful.
Here are the steps of how to do a fishtail braid:
- Comb your hair.
- Start braiding your hair from the front. Take just a section of the font section.
- Section your hair horizontally.
- Take hair from both sides of the head, and braid them.
- Take the lower section and make three separate braids.
- Now join all the braids and tie them at the end. You can do the normal braid or french braid.
6. French Braid – Perfect For A Casual Look
This hairstyle is mainly done to just look casual and reluctant. It is a very easy one. Anyone with long hair can quickly learn it.
Here are the steps of how to do a French braid:
- Comb your hair properly.
- Part your hair, on any side.
- Take the front section of the hair.
- Braid it loose enough to make it look big.
- Tie it and join it with the rest of the hair.
- Tie your hair into a bun.
7. Fishtail Flower Braid – Perfect For Your 16th Birthday
This hairstyle is elegant and mostly done by people who are floral overall. A beautiful flower fishtail is very gorgeous and can be prepared for a ball, or your own birthday party, as it will make you feel like a princess.
Here are the steps of how to do a fishtail flower braid:
- Comb your hair.
- Divide your hair from the middle.
- Take thick strands of your hair from both sides.
- Make a bun and make it messy, keep a hole in the middle and keep the hair away from the hole by pinning it.
- Choose a french braid for your braid hair.
- Bring the braids and tie it at the end by keeping the flower-looking bun in the middle.
8. Upside Down Braided Bun – Perfect For Athletes
When you are an athlete, you obviously don’t want your hair to flow and distract your focus. You want a bun that keeps all the hair back, but it would be good if you have varieties in buns. For braid hair colors, you can always highlight them with blond color, as the sneak peeks of the black strands and blondes are pretty interesting.
Here are the steps of how to do Upside Down Braided Bun:
- Comb your hair.
- Divide them horizontally.
- The lower section has to be braided but from the bottom of the scalp to the way up.
- When you are done with braid hair, take the upper section of the hair.
- Now merge them both and turn it into a top knot.
9. Centre Braid Pony – Perfect For a Summer Look
This hairstyle is perfect for a hot summer look. It is easier than it looks. Anyone can easily do that, once they read the steps or watch a video.
Here are the steps of how to do Centre Braid Pony:
- Comb your hair.
- Divide the, form the middle.
- Take thick strands from both sides of the head and braid them till the end.
- Get all unbraided sections of the hair.
- Take them all and then tie it into a pony.
Read also: Different Types of Hairstyles.
10. The Conventional Braid – Perfect Before going to Bed
This braid hair hairstyle is the most common one, we have seen our mothers with them, and even ourselves before going to bed, it helps not get all hairs tangled.
Here are the steps of how to Conventional Braid:
- Comb your hair.
- Get all the to the bottom of the scalp and start braiding.
- If you can’t, call out for the superwoman in your life.
Wrapping It All Up
Here you go with 10 stunning braid hairstyles, which will look good on you.
Braids show elegance. Girls with short hair can use wigs for hair extensions to enjoy the feeling.
Leave a comment in the comment section and let me know which one you prefer the most.